ASI Offers Programming Grants. The purpose of the grant is to encourage existing community recreation and leisure programs, to include individuals within the autism spectrum, by providing financial support to develop successful integration opportunities.
For more information on Programming Grants available through ASI, click here.
Grant applications will be accepted from January 1, 2017 until March 15, 2017. After review, grants will then be distributed on April 15, 2017.
2017 ASK RESOURCE CENTER SUMMER CAMP LIST – Check out this link for a more comprehensive list put together by ASK Resource Center, of summer activities for those with autism and other special needs.
Art Spectrums – Des Moines Art Center – Des Moines, IA
- Art Spectrums is a free program for children with autism ages 5 – 10 years old and their family members to explore and make art together.
- Participants will visit and discuss a work of art in the Art Center’s collection for inspiration. Next, children and family members make their own artwork. This program is a great opportunity for children with autism, siblings, parents, and other family members to have fun and make memories with art.
Upcoming Art Spectrums Dates
Sunday, May 28, 2017
Sunday, June 18, 2017
- To register, visit http://www.desmoinesartcenter.org or contact Kara Fedje, museum educator, via email: email@example.com or call: 515-271-0349.
Courage League Sports – Urbandale, IA (Des Moines, IA area)
- Click here for information on the 2017 Courage League Summer Sports Camp.
- Click here for information on the 2017 Courage League Spring Programs
- Click here for information on Spring Baseball Training
- Click here for ChAAMPS Youth Soccer League – A new sports program for high-functioning Autistic youth.
- Courage League Sports is a non-profit adaptive sports and recreational facility that offers year-round programming for children and adults who aren’t able to go full speed due to a physical, cognitive or emotional disability. By adapting the pace, equipment, or nature of an activity, Courage League can provide a safe and accessible environment where participants can go at their own speed.
- Where: 4405 121st St. Urbandale, IA 50323
- Melissa Clarke-Wharff, Founder/President firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 515-423-9930
- Porshia Perkins, Development Coordinator
- Phone: 515-421-4020 or http://www.courageleaguesports.org
Davenport Junior Theatre- Spectrum Theatre
- The Spectrum Theatre Program of Davenport Junior Theatre provides a safe and tailored environment for children with special needs to confidently and creatively enjoy the theater experience. One on one assistance from a peer mentor is available for any child by request. The Spectrum Program works on the following skills through play: communication, vocalization, socialization, interpreting body language, recognizing emotions, and teamwork.
- Class starts Thursday June 5th and runs until August 19th with a showcase on Saturday August 19.
- Class is on Thursdays from 7-8pm for children ages 10-18+.
- Davenport Residents: $112 Non-Residents: $140
- Scholarships are available through the Autism Society of The Quad Cities.
- Summer Registration closes on June 14th 2017
- Visit http://www.davenportjuniortheatre.org/theatre/spectrum.html for more information and to register!
Kids in Harmony- Adaptive Social Music Groups
- Watch your child engage and succeed while building confidence and social skills!
- WHAT: Each class is designed having the child with special needs in mind. Our experienced music therapists strive to engage individuals with each other in order to provide rich social experiences not available in other settings. Responsible adult required to attend with participant. BONUS: Siblings encouraged to attend for free with signed consent.
- WHO: Children ages 6 years – 8th grade and their sibling Participants must have completed kindergarten to attend. If your child has not completed kindergarten, you will want to enroll in our parent/child developmental music classes! Contact Shelly Peterson, MA, MT-BC at 515-494-4618 or email@example.com to see if this class is right for your child.
- WHEN: Thursdays 4:45-5:15pm – 6/8, 6/22, 7/6, 7/20, 8/3, 8/17
- WHERE: Waukee Parks and Recreation, 805 University Avenue, Waukee, IA 50263
- COST: $12 per class, register classes individually to try it out and see how it works
- HOW DO I REGISTER? Visit the Waukee Parks and Recreation for more information and to register!
Kids in Harmony- Parent/Child Developmental Music Classes
- Our board certified music therapists (MT-BC) design classes to provide children of all abilities with developmentally appropriate and enriching opportunities to sing, move and explore musical play. Classes are taught by highly trained MT-BCs who provide quality live music. Sessions are playful and designed to meet developmental needs of the students as well as provide a positive bonding experience with parents/caregivers. Class size is limited to 10. Our classes will surely be a highlight of your day! CONTACT SHELLY at 515-494-4618 OR REGISTER TODAY!
Metro West Kids Learning Center – Clive, IA (Des Moines, IA area)
Sturgis Youth Theatre Summer Production – University of Northern Iowa
- Check back for updated 2017 programming info and registration!
- For more information please email Gretta.Berghammer@uni.edu, find Sturgis Youth Theatre on Facebook, or check out their web page at: https://www.uni.edu/theatre/theatre-uni/sturgis-youth-theatre/about
Sports Leagues For Those With Disabilities
- The Miracle League – Kiwanis- OPENING DAY FOR 2017 IS MAY 6!
- Are you between 5 and 18 years old? Registration is now open! Click here for info and registration!
- Are you 19 and over? Plan to join one of the Miracle League adult teams! Registration is now open! Click here for info and registration!
- For more information call 515-280-5017 or http://www.kiwanismiracleleague.org
- Challenger Sports League, Helping Kids with Special Needs Participate in Sports, (515) 276-0477 or http://www.challengersports-ia.org/mission.html
- Special Olympics, http://www.soiowa.org
- Link Associates (Soccer), Kids through age 18, any ability level, 515.262.8888
- The Miracle League – Kiwanis- OPENING DAY FOR 2017 IS MAY 6!
Camp High Hopes – Sioux City, IA
- 2017 Spring and Summer Registration NOW OPEN! Click here for programming info and to register!
- Camp High Hopes offers year-round therapeutic recreation programs and respites in Sioux City, IA designed to enrich the lives of youth and adults with diagnosed disabilities, chronic illnesses, and other special needs.
- For more information call 712-224-2267 or click here!
Camp Winnebago – Caledonia, MN
- 2017 summer registration NOW OPEN! Click here for more information!
- At Camp Winnebago we focus on providing children and adults with developmental and cognitive disabilities fun recreational, social and educational activities in a safe and caring environment. Each summer we offer eight weeks of camp. Our youth week is specifically geared for kids ages 5 to 15. For individuals ages 16 and older we offer a young adult week.
- For more information contact Anne Selness firstname.lastname@example.org or at 507-724-2351 or visit their website at www.campwinnebago.org