The Autism Society of Iowa creates connections, empowering everyone in the Autism community with the resources needed to live fully. We exist to serve our local Autism community through advocacy, community programming, and creating a more inclusive world.
The Autism Society of Iowa is an affiliate of the Autism Society. The Iowa chapter was founded in 1978 and currently has over 300 members. We are a statewide non-profit advocacy organization dedicated to improving the lives of children and adults with Autism Spectrum Disorders.
- We provide current information and support to parents, educators, service providers, and others interested in autism and maintain a current parent packet for families with a newly diagnosed child.
- We offer 4 different college scholarship opportunities, scholarships to attend our conferences and family scholarships for families and caregivers of those on the spectrum living in Iowa.
- We sponsor workshops and conferences on topical information related to autism.
- We create the state autism newsletter, THE LINK, maintain the website http://www.autismia.org and have a monthly e-newsletter.
- We present the Stephen Tsai for Excellence in Autism Education Award at each conference.
- We provide a free lending library for families and educators.
- We have a summer grant program to integrate those with Autism Spectrum Disorders into recreational programs and camps.
- We support legislation which enhances the lives of persons with Autism Spectrum Disorders.